Stop the Bleed is a national white house initiated awareness campaign and call-to-action. Due to an uptick in mass shootings, terror attacks and national disasters, the Government is calling on civilians to learn how to treat severe bleeding.
Course Topics include:
- Stop The Bleed Campaign
- ABCs of Bleeding
- Identifying Severe Wounds
- Direct Pressure
- Commercial Pressure Bandages
- Wound Packing
- Hemostatic Agents
- Gun Shots
The program can be taught as an add-on or stand-alone class. If taught as a stand-alone program the class length is 2 hours. If taught in conjunction with CPR or First Aid the class will run 45 minutes to an hour.
Certification is valid for up to 2 years. Maximum student ratio is a maximum 1 – 12. Equipment ratio is a maximum of 1 – 4.
The instructor Packet is $60.00 included:
(must be a current ATEM instructor)
- Instructor Guide
- Student Guide
- DVD or Jump Drive (or you can download the video for a $10 discount) Training centers are allowed to copy the Video Program for their staff only. Violation of the policy will jeopardize the partnership
- Evaluation, Skill sheets, Rosters
- Instructor Card
- Preview of the 14 minute video https://youtu.be/KiPstpihUSw
The Student Materials:
- Severe Bleed Care certification cards $1.25
- Manual $1.50 ~ If you are teaching the class in conjunction with a CPR or First Aid Class you may print out the student bleed sheets and insert them into the book.
- The student manual will include the Severe Bleed Care in approx. 7 months.
- Commercial Compression Bandage (similar to an H or Israeli)
- A device to practice wound packing (The cheapest version is a pool noodle – see other ideas below)
- A device to practice tourniquets
- Samples of Hemostatic Agents
- Student Manual with Severe Bleed Care Sheets
- Media Player
- Skills Sheet \Test Answers \Evaluation Forms
- Certification Cards
The ATEM Severe Bleed Kit contains many of the required items
and is available at 50% off to instructors for $33.00.
Red Bag Marked for Bleed Care
Stop the bleed Instruction Card
Celox quik clot
Four 4 x 4 gauze
Blood Blocker Trauma Dressing
Permanent marker – mini if cheaper
Bio-hazard waste bag
Commercial compression bandage
- Wrap Tourniquet
- Simulated Artery Bleeding Arm or Leg
- Stop the Bleed Kit
Ideas for creating Bleed Simulations
The tourniquet project has a lot of videos and information to enhance your teaching skills:
- How to make a tourniquet trainer with a pool noodle
- Homemade trainer materials
Tips for making the low budget tourniquet/packing trainer.
$5.00 Foam roller from 5 and below.
$5.00 Rubber tubing from Lowe’s.
$11.50 femur from sawbones.com
(PVC pipe would work just fine.)
Commercial tourniquet training props:
- Simulaids Amputated Bleeding Arm for SMART STAT Patient Simulator Part Number: 468
- Your Price: $159.30
- Available at AED superstore
- Hemorrhage Control Training Kit w/Combat Gauze® LE by Z-Medical
- $400 available at AED superstore
- Simulaids Moulage Pump Assembly – This pump, for bleeding source, could be used with simulaids manikin or pool noodle. $22.00 Available at the fire store